Monday, January 31, 2011

Little ideas

I love woven samples almost as much as the end product. These samples that didn't make it onto boards are little ideas that were then worked into proper samples of the right size. No one really gets to see them. They end up languishing in neatly filed notebooks with details about warp and weft. Here are some of my favourites. A range of upholstery samples all woven on a grey linen warp using simple weave structures. I called the range Ode to Olivetti, after the Italian typewriter manufacturer and named each of my samples after subsequent typewriter models. I have wanted a Olivetti Valentine since I saw an exhibition of Ettore Sottsass's work at the Design Museum in London quite a few years ago. I am yet to own one but perhaps one will turn up for sale in the coming months.




No comments: