Saturday, July 2, 2011

A present for Mila

It's been a while since I have made one of these machine embroidered canvases. Over the years, I've made them for neices, nephews and friends. This is for Mila's first birthday. School is out for the next few weeks, and I'll be weaving instead. It feels luxurious to have time set aside for making new work. I'm excited by all sorts of possibilities and quietly hoping that the work will good enough for an exhibition next year. I've picked up some of my yarn and there is more on the way. Tomorrow I'm off to see the Vienna Art and Design exhibition at the NGV with my sister. We are both lovers of Schiele's work - the way he paints hands, and his use of colour. He makes a great shade of pink! I can't remember the last time I was so excited about seeing an exhibition. I never usually take along a sketchbook, but I think tomorrow might be the exception.       

No comments: